Reel Planet is the production company for Oxford based filmmaker and videographer Gavin Carver. I am primarily a documentarist although I have also worked on dramatic fiction. As a videographer I make films to commission from clients, as a documentarist I develop independent productions for which I seek funding, co-production and sponsorship. These are submitted to festivals, broadcast and curated distribution sites. I will also work as a freelance filmmaker (principally camera) on other people’s projects.
Trailer for Gyalmu’s House, my latest film about an extraordinary woman rebuilding her life in the Langtang Valley after her world was destroyed by an earthquake is currently playing at film festivals worldwide. Go to the film’s webpage for further details. The full film can be purchased or rented from Steep Edge.
My other recent film, Andante, about a cellist hiking and playing in the wilderness can be viewed in full (10 mins) for free on my Vimeo page here or a slightly shorter version on Aeon Magazine’s website.
Interests and specialisms
I have a wide range of interests and am happy to consider working on many projects however it is fair to say that I primarily work in two broad areas:.
- Culture and the environment: the interplay between cultural practices and the natural world, how one shapes the other, and how people make place, places make people.
- Creative and technical processes and research including artists’ projects and profiles, and academic practical research
My last two independent documentary projects featured people in mountain landscapes (and involved lots of walking) – I guess I could call this a specialism.
My approach will depend upon the project’s aims, content and audience; this may mean creating a traditional factual programme with interviews, footage of activities, places and events and possibly library imagery, or it may lead towards something other: a wholly observational piece, or a filmic essay or poem. Needless to say any film needs a good story, and the first task will be to identify the narrative and characters.
Having been an academic for nearly two decades I am experienced with research methods and constructing arguments, and am familiar with good practice in creating learning materials. Having specialised in theatre I know the power of a good story and compelling sound and image.
- Full film production / videography to client’s brief – please contact me to discuss your project.
- Freelance self-shooter / camera operator / documentary director / editor.
- Camera and sound package hire (Canon C100, Sennheiser radio lavalier and camera mounted shotgun + accessories).
Or use the contact form below. Thanks
Keywords: videography, documentary, filmmaking, oxford, oxfordshire.